Education & Awareness
Grade 8 Marine Science Discoverer Course at the Aquarium
Meet the course coordinator
The Marine Science Discoverer course for Grade 8 learners introduces students to some basic principles of oceanography, ecology, marine biology, and human impacts on the environment.
Dates: 11 to 15 July 2022
Location: Two Oceans Aquarium, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town
Times: 09h00 to 14h00 daily
Cost: R800 per child (please find further information below if sponsorship is required)
Application closing date: 24 June 2022
Sponsored placements are available for 15 Grade 8 learners who show an interest in marine sciences and who wish to pursue a career in that field. An additional 25 spaces are available at R800 a learner. Paid spaces are guaranteed, provided participants are in grade 8. Learners need internet access to download course notes.
Applicants can complete the information form below before checkout. Applicants seeking sponsorship can download the application form and information pack here.
The purpose of this course is to:
- provide important basic environmental and oceanographical information
- supplement and support school curriculum material
- provide enrichment for students interested in marine life
Examples of course content include:
- Introduction to South African Marine Ecosystems
- Marine Sciences & related careers
- Basic Classification, Life Processes
- Understanding basic oceanography concepts
- Geological timescale