Education & Awareness
Adults & children
. . . . .
Rocky Shore Biology online course
Meet your course coordinator
Bianca Engel is the Deputy Head of Education at the Two Oceans Aquarium Foundation.
She has a BSc degree, with a major in Zoology, from UCT and a Post Graduate Higher Diploma in Education ( Major in Mathematics and Science). Bianca started as a volunteer at the Two Oceans Aquarium 22 years ago. She is most passionate about sharing her love for the marine environment with varying audiences and inspiring them to take action.
When not at work, Bianca enjoys spending time with friends and her extended family, by supporting local artists, exploring our city as a tourist, crocheting items or just spending time in nature.
During this course you will learn about:
- The two ocean basins around South Africa
- Tides and rocky shore zonation
- Rocky shore ecology
- Porifera (sea sponges)
- Cnidaria (sea anemones, sea jellies, hydrozoans)
- Annelida, sipunculida, platyhelminthes (marine worms)
- Arthropoda (barnacles, crabs and lobsters)
- Echinodermata (sea stars, sea cucumbers, feather stars, brittle stars and sea urchins)
- Bryozoa (moss/lace animals)
- Mollusca (snails, nudibranchs and mussells)
- Ascidians (sea squirts)
- Klipvissies and shysharks
- Human impacts on the rocky shore environment
Dates: 2 to 25 February 2021
Duration: Four weeks
Format: Weekly self-study topics, with live Zoom sessions with our teachers
Live sessions: 17h30 to 19h30 (GMT+2) on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Cost: R1000 per learner
This course is for the hobbyist rocky shore explorer, who would like to find out more about the animals and plants that live in this dynamic environment. We will introduce the basics of the rocky shore as an ecosystem, tides and zonation and classification. The major sea plants found along our shores will be covered, and how to identify them. The course will also include the major invertebrate phyla, such as porifera, cnidaria, annelids, echinoderms and mollusca. Learn about the amazing adaptations that these plants and animals have developed, to survive in the, often harsh, conditions of the rocky shores.
Suitable for anyone 16 years and older.
Course starts in
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.